What is EFT?
Our feelings, emotions, and physical sensations help guide us in understanding our values and what’s important to us. For a variety of reasons, the energy that flows around the body can get blocked or disrupted, around particular feelings or emotions, throwing the body out of balance.
This can lead to an emotional intensity, or charge, which is felt in the body; physical symptoms such as a knot in the stomach or tightening of the throat; or the activation of the “fight, flight, or freeze” response that prevents a person from making rational choices in the moment.
Even if we understand cognitively why we may be experiencing a particular negative emotion or feeling and take steps to reframe our thinking, our bodies may still be reacting, due to the disrupted energy flow. This can keep us trapped in cycles and prevent us from fully moving on.
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) involves being guided by a practitioner to discover and identify the particular emotion, feeling, or physical sensation that is blocked, disrupted, or out of balance. The practitioner then leads the client to tap on their own body on a series of acupressure points to restore the natural flow of energy.
So, although a client may still identify with the emotion or feeling, the charge or physical intensity will be reduced or in many cases totally relieved.
EFT is similar to counseling / talk therapy with the advantage that the energy around the person’s experience is brought into alignment so they feel the relief physically as well as cognitive understanding, thus resolving issues faster and more thoroughly.
Examples of areas that EFT can support:
- Conquering fears, stress and feeling overwhelmed
- Healing past wounds and moving through traumatic memories
- Moving past limiting beliefs that are holding you back
- Understanding and then overcoming past negative programming and behaviours
- Setting healthy boundaries and expressing your needs
- Gaining clarity on how to live a life with purpose
- (Re)connecting to your authentic self
- Moving through the stages of grief
- Achieving life changes safely
- Increasing self-esteem and self-confidence
- Gaining self awareness and knowledge of your gifts and strengths
Are you interested in experiencing EFT for yourself?